Monday, January 16, 2017

Facebook: The New Infomercial

Remember those 20 minute long commercials that came on TV when you were watching for way longer than you should’ve been?  They were mostly advertising little so-called “gadgets” that make life a bit more convenient for approximately $19.99 plus shipping and handling.  While these infomercials still do exist, they are hard to come by.   As I’ve been scrolling through my Facebook news feed lately, I think I may have figured out why. 

Facebook videos have completely taken over Facebook as of late, and I’ve been noticing a recent trend of fairly short videos that show new innovations and “gadgets” to make life more convenient or exciting.  While a lot of these new technologies aren’t in stores yet, they give me great hope for the future.  These videos range from products you’d be likely to see in an infomercial, like a non-slip serving tray, to things I’d never imagine, like a suitcase that doubles as an electric scooter to ride through airports. With the auto-play feature on, it is hard to resist just scrolling past these futuristic videos.  Sometimes, I even find myself doing more research on the product and how to buy it.  In my opinion, it is a great way to get customers engaged on their own without making them feel like they are forced into watching it.  Goodbye infomercials, hello Facebook videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment